Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
These 5 plant-based smoothies are delicious and nutritious and can be enjoyed as a breakfast or snack. Feel free to adjust the ingredients to your liking or add your favorite superfoods for an extra boost of nutrition. Blend all ingredients on each recipe card with some ice to make a creamy, fulfilling smoothie, and enjoy! Read tips for making delicious smoothies at the end of this post.
5 Delicious Plant-based Smoothie Recipes
Tips for Creating Delicious Plant-Based Smoothies with Any Ingredients
- Start with a base: Add a liquid base to your blender, such as water, plant-based milk, or juice. This will help blend all the ingredients smoothly. Oat milk makes the creamiest smoothies by far.
- Add plenty of fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are the foundation of any healthy smoothie. They provide essential nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants. Aim to include a mix of both in your smoothie. You can use frozen or fresh. If you use fresh, add some ice cubes.
- Incorporate protein: Adding protein to your smoothie can help keep you full and satisfied for longer. Good protein sources include plant-based yogurt, nut butter, chia seeds, or protein powder.
- Remember healthy fats: Healthy fats, such as avocado, nuts, and seeds (chia, hemp, or flax), can add creaminess and richness to your smoothie while providing essential nutrients.
- Use natural sweeteners: (optional) Instead of adding refined sugar, use natural sweeteners like maple syrup, agave, or dates to sweeten your smoothie. You may not want to add more sweetener if using a protein powder.
- Be mindful of portion sizes: While smoothies can be a great way to pack in a lot of nutrients, they can also be high in calories. To ensure that your smoothie remains within your desired calorie range, be mindful of the ingredients and portion sizes you consume. Aiming for a serving size of 8-12 ounces is recommended. I recently discovered that I drank around 900 calories per smoothie, more than I wanted to consume in a single meal as a petite woman. However, my twenty-year-old son, happy to consume more calories, finds this shake perfect for his goals.
- Bananas: I often include a banana in my smoothies. They are a great source of natural sweetness and add a delicious flavor to the shake. They are also rich in potassium and high on fiber, which can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. Overall, it makes the shake creamy, thicker, and sweet.
- Use a high-speed, high-quality blender: Investing in a high-quality blender, like a Vitamix, can make a big difference in the texture and consistency of your smoothies. Look for a blender with at least 1000 watts of power and a strong blade. I can not find my exact model for sale, but it is similar to this refurbished one from Amazon.
- Add ice to make the smoothie: Add ice to make smoothies thicker and deliciously cold if you are not using frozen fruit or veggies.