Creamy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese is a combo classic that has been a favorite for generations and remains a go-to meal for anyone needing a little comfort. This one is vegan, quick, easy, and delicious. The combination of the warm, creamy tomato soup and the crispy, comforting sandwich will surely be a crowd-pleaser.
Why You'll Love This Soup
This duo is the epitome of comfort. The hearty homemade vegan tomato soup paired with the crispy, comforting vegan grilled cheese sandwich is like a hug in a meal.
With a vegetable-based soup and plant-based cheese, you're actually getting a pretty nutrient-dense meal. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene and vitamins, and many vegan cheeses are fortified with nutrients like B12.
Want to add a kick to your creamy vegan tomato soup? Toss in some chili flakes. Prefer your vegan grilled cheese stuffed with avocado or sautéed mushrooms? Go for it! These recipes are super adaptable to suit your taste buds.
Both the soup and the sandwich are super easy to whip up, making this a perfect meal for weeknights or when you're just too tired to make anything complicated.
For those with dairy allergies or lactose intolerance, this meal is a dream come true. Finally, you can indulge in this classic combo without any worries.
Even if you're not vegan, the rich flavors and satisfying textures are universally pleasing. This could be the dish that convinces your skeptical friends that vegan food can be just as delicious.
There's something inherently satisfying about how the sharp, tangy notes of the tomato soup complement the rich crunchiness of the vegan grilled cheese.
Here is the who's who of our delicious vegan tomato soup and sandwich.
Vegan Tomato Soup
- Olive Oil
- Diced or Crushed Tomatoes: If you don't have canned or crushed diced tomatoes, you can use fresh tomatoes instead. Peel and take out the seeds before using them in the soup. You can also use whole peeled tomatoes in a can.
- Vegetable Broth
- Salt, Pepper, and Celery Seed
- Coconut Cream: You can substitute coconut cream for coconut milk or a thick plant-based milk like oat milk. Just make sure it is unsweetened.
- Maple Syrup - You can substitute with any sweetener you prefer, such as brown sugar or agave.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Bread - Use sturdy bread for grilled cheese, such as sourdough, french, or whole grain.
- Vegan Butter
- Vegan Cheese Slices - you can also use Best Nut-Free Vegan Cheese Sauce or Easy Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce if you have any leftovers from Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese or Vegan Chili Cheese Fries.
A Note About Vegan Cheese
Time has allowed vegan cheese to evolve for the better. There were days when plant-based cheese options were limited to rubbery, flavorless blocks that didn't even consider melting (some still don't, ahem). But today, we have options that range from sharp and tangy to smooth and creamy. Brands have really stepped up their game, utilizing ingredients like cashews, almonds, and even coconut to craft cheeses that can rival their dairy-based counterparts in taste but also in texture.
And let's talk about meltability—because, yes, that's a thing now! Whether you're sprinkling shreds over pizza or stacking slices in this grilled cheese sandwich recipe, modern vegan cheeses can melt, giving you that gooey experience you've been craving. I have not found that they are so much stretchy yet, but they are still delicious when incorporated into your meals.
So experiment and find cheese slices you enjoy in your grilled cheese. My recommendation is the Field Roast Chao brand.
Instructions For Tomato Soup
Admire the visuals for this recipe here:
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
Pour in the canned tomatoes (juice included) and break them up with your spoon if you're using whole peeled tomatoes.
Add the vegetable broth to the pot and stir. Then add celery seed, salt, and pepper, and stir everything together. Let it come to a bowl, then lower the to a simmer. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 30 minutes.
After simmering, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. If you're using a countertop blender, blend as much of the soup as you want to get the consistency you want.
Add in the can of coconut cream and maple syrup and stir well.
Let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
Do a taste test and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Ladle the tomato soup into bowls and pour a little more plant milk or coconut cream over the top for a nice design. Then, garnish with fresh basil leaves or a sprinkle of dried oregano for a nice presentation.
Now, your soup is ready to serve with the delicious grilled cheese below!
Instructions For A Vegan Grilled Cheese
More tasty guided visuals for you to peruse.
Add a slice or two of vegan butter to the pan. Allow it to fully melt and spread evenly across the skillet's surface, creating a non-stick layer that will give your bread a crispy, flavorful edge.
Place two slices of your favorite vegan bread onto the sizzling butter. I recommend using sliced sourdough bread...it's so good.
Arrange slices evenly over one slice of the bread, ensuring even meltiness. Hang it off the sides for a nice gooey cheese effect that is pleasing to the eyes and taste buds.
Take the second slice of bread and place it on top of the cheese, creating a sandwich.
Place a lid over the pan and cook the sandwich for 1 to 1 ½ minutes. The steam generated will help the vegan cheese melt nicely. Flip it again and cover for another minute until golden brown.
Remove the sandwich from the pan and place it on a plate. Let it sit for a minute to allow the cheese to set, making it easier to slice.
- Ginger: Add some grated ginger to the soup for a spicy twist.
- Pesto Grilled Cheese: Spread some vegan pesto on the bread before adding the cheese for a flavorful twist.
- Avocado Grilled Cheese: Add some sliced avocado to the sandwich for added creaminess and flavor.
- Spicy Grilled Cheese: Add some jalapeño slices or hot sauce to the sandwich for a spicy kick.
- Tomato and Basil Grilled Cheese: Add fresh basil leaves and sliced tomatoes to the sandwich for a classic flavor combination.
- If you don't already have one, I recommend purchasing an immersion blender. So many delicious soups like Healthy Red Lentil Soup are even better with a quick blend, and an immersion blender makes blending the soup a breeze. It's also easier than transferring the hot soup to a blender.
- The vegan grilled cheese sandwiches can also be made using Best Vegan Nut-Free Vegan Cheese Sauce or Easy Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce. Spread on lightly buttered bread. Place into a panini press or griddle to cook until golden brown on both sides. No need to buy store-bought cheese anymore to make a grilled cheese sandwich.
For other delicious vegan soups, try:
- One Pot Vegan Minestrone
- Chickpea Coconut Curry Soup
- Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup
- Healthy Red Lentil Soup | Easy Vegan Recipe
- Best Cuban-Inspired Vegan Lentil Soup
Use a generous amount of butter or oil and cook it on low heat for longer.
Yes, you can make the soup up to two days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat before serving.
Yes, just make sure to remove the skins and seeds before using them in a soup.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion diced (~250 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced (2 tsp)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (28 oz each)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1 can coconut cream or milk (or a thick plant-based milk like oat milk)
Grilled Cheese (makes 1 sandwich)
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 - 2 slices of your favorite vegan cheese
- Sauté: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
- Boil: Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, celery seed, and black pepper to the pot. Mix together and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend: Remove the pot from the heat and let cool slightly. Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and process until it reaches the consistency you want.
- Add: Return the soup to the pot and stir in the maple syrup and coconut cream. Heat over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Serve: Serve hot with a delicious vegan grilled cheese sandwich.
Vegan Grilled Cheese
- Melt the Butter: Add two slices of vegan butter to the pan. Allow it to fully melt and spread evenly across the skillet's surface, creating a non-stick layer that gives your bread a crispy, flavorful edge.
- Lay Down the Bread: Place two slices of your favorite vegan bread onto the sizzling butter.
- Add the Vegan Cheese: Arrange slices or shreds of vegan cheese evenly over one slice of the bread, ensuring maximum meltiness.
- Top it Off: Take the second slice of bread and place it on top of the cheese, creating a sandwich.
- Cover and Cook: Place a lid over the pan and let the sandwich cook for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes. The steam generated will help the vegan cheese melt beautifully.
- Time for a Flip: Carefully remove the lid, using a spatula to flip the sandwich over to the other side. The first side should be a golden-brown color, crispy to the touch.
- Final Melt: Replace the lid on the pan and cook for another minute. This will finish off the second side, making it equally golden and crispy.
- Cool and Serve: Remove the sandwich from the pan and place it on a plate. Let it sit for a minute to allow the cheese to set, making it easier to slice and maximizing that melt-in-your-mouth goodness.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and does not include the grilled cheese because of the many variables. Use a nutritional app like Cronometer to get information on the exact ingredients and amounts you are using.
Add a small sliced carrot along with the onions if you do not want to add a sweetener like maple syrup to the soup.
For a thicker soup, make a slurry with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or flour to 2 tablespoon of warm water. Then add it to the soup and stir. Do one tablespoon at a time so you don't overdo it.
I like to use an immersion blender to get the soup as close to pureed as possible, creating a smooth texture that still has some body. Then, for that extra velvety touch, I ladle about half of the soup into a high-speed blender and blend it until it's ultra-creamy. When I incorporate this super-smooth portion back into the rest of the soup, the result is a perfectly balanced texture between super creamy and a little more substantial. This results in the comforting creaminess you expect from a well-made tomato soup and the satisfying thickness of a soup that's a bit more rustic.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: appetizer, dinner, lunch, soup
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 839
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: homemade soup, vegan grilled cheese, vegan soup, comfort food, quick,