This Roasted Broccoli Salad with Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing is a delicious and easy dish that combines the flavors of roasted broccoli, sweet honey mustard dressing, and crunchy nuts. It's perfect as a side dish or a light meal.
How to make Roasted Broccoli Salad
This salad is so easy to make and comes together fast. Gather these ingredients:
broccoli - chop into bite-sized pieces.
apple - dice the apple into small, even pieces to get sweetness in every bite. You can also use cranberries for a great sweet taste.
nuts - I like the crunch of slivered almonds in this salad, but crushed walnuts are also great.
red pepper flakes - optional for a little kick
vegan honey mustard dressing - once you experience the ease and deliciousness of this homemade dressing, you'll rarely spend money on the store-bought kind.
How to roast broccoli in the oven
Roasting broccoli in the oven is a simple and delicious way to bring out its natural flavors and create a slightly caramelized texture. Here's how to roast broccoli in the oven:
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Cut broccoli into florets of similar size. Place florets in a mixing bowl and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Use spray oil to limit your oil intake. I sometimes omit the oil and only use a little water for the salt and pepper to have something to stick to.
Spread florets on a lined baking sheet in a single layer.
Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until tender and slightly browned. Broil the broccoli for the last few minutes to get a nice char on the ends.
How to roast broccoli in the air fryer
I love the air fryer. It's easy, confines the mess, and it's fast.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C). If you're like me and sometimes don't preheat, add two to three minutes to the cooking instructions.
Toss florets with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
Place seasoned florets in the air fryer basket, avoiding overcrowding too much. You want each piece to get cooked through and charred a little.
Cook for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket occasionally. Remove broccoli when tender and slightly charred.
How to prepare Honey Mustard Dressing
Whisk together the Dijon mustard, vegan mayonnaise, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Continue to whisk until the mixture is well combined and creamy. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Use a teaspoon of water to adjust the consistency, if needed.
Assemble the salad
Place all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. I like to add the vegan feta on top for a nice presentation.
Serving suggestions for roasted broccoli salad
- Serve as a side dish alongside grilled tofu or tempeh.
- Place the broccoli salad on a bed of cooked quinoa, bulgur wheat, or brown rice for added texture and a more substantial dish.
- Serve it with a side of crusty bread.
- Bring the broccoli salad to a potluck or picnic.
- Serve the broccoli salad as part of a larger buffet spread alongside roasted vegetables, pasta salad, grilled kebabs, cucumber salad, chickpea salad, Greek salad, or a colorful mixed greens salad.
- Customize with toppings: Sprinkle additional toppings like sunflower seeds or diced avocado on top of the broccoli salad to add extra flavor and texture.
If you aim to reduce oil while roasting your veggies, try using an oil spray for better control over the amount used. Alternatively, give your vegetables a light sprinkle of water before seasoning to provide a sticky base for the flavors to adhere to.
Yes, creamy vegan honey mustard is generally healthier than traditional honey mustard because it contains no animal products or dairy. It also uses vegan mayonnaise instead of traditional mayonnaise, which can be higher in cholesterol and saturated fat.
- 12 ounces broccoli (cut into florets of similar size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (to taste)
Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (alternatively use agave or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
Roasted Broccoli Salad
- 1 apple (diced; alternatively, use another sweet ingredient such as cranberries)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds (or crushed walnuts)
- ¼ cup vegan feta (optional)
Roasting Broccoli in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 425 (220°C).
- Combine broccoli with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or use a silicone mat.
- Transfer the seasoned broccoli to the prepared baking sheet, spreading it out evenly.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until tender and slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly.
Roasting Broccoli in the Air Fryer
- Preheat the fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
- Toss florets with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Place seasoned florets in an air fryer basket, avoiding overcrowding too much.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket occasionally.
- Remove broccoli when tender and slightly charred.
Making the Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
- Whisk together the Dijon mustard, vegan mayonnaise, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Continue to whisk until the mixture is well combined and creamy. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Use a teaspoon of water at a time to adjust the consistency, if needed.
Assembling the Salad
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Mix until well combined.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Use a nutritional app like Cronometer to get information on the exact ingredients and amounts you are using.
Ovens vary, so check your broccoli periodically to get the right char on your broccoli florets.
You can use an oil spray to limit your use of oil on the florets. Alternatively, leave the oil out and just use a little water.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 391
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 5.6 mg
Keywords: broccoli salad, roasted broccoli, roasted vegetable